Sunday, May 15, 2011

Twenty-Firsts and the California Wine Country

One of the advantages of being 21 is that you get to experience a new part of California, the wine country.  So what could be a better choice for my 21st post than a description of a 21st birthday celebration where my friend Katie’s parents took us to Napa for the day?  Well, I guess it was more of a late celebration because my birthday was in July and Katie’s was in February while she was studying abroad, but it was a celebration regardless!  Just a mere hour from home, Napa almost feels like a different world where the rolling hills are covered in grapevines and the smell of fog still lingers in the fresh air.
We started off the day at Hall Wines where Katie’s family are members.  To be honest, I could not taste the multitude of flavors that ranged from blackberry pie to barbeque which the elaborate descriptions claimed the wine contained, but nonetheless it was a fun experience and I did enjoy the wine.


The elaborate descriptions of the wines that we decided would be so much fun to write.

Next we headed to Joseph Phelps Vineyards where Katie’s roommate Hadley is working for the summer; not a bad job if you ask me.  She was able to put us on the guest list for the large event they were hosting for all their members!  Despite the cool weather and rain, it was a beautiful event where we were served delicious hors devours and were able to sample $200 bottles of wine (which I don’t know if I will ever get the chance to do again).  I was so impressed with Hadley’s knowledge of the wines after working there only a week.
The most creative tray that lets you carry your food and wine.

 The 3 Kappas:  Katie, Lisa, and Hadley

 Hadley...already an expert.


No one said we couldn't drive the golf cart.

Lastly we went to Frank Family Vineyards.  I loved the lemon yellow building with the cute porch that housed the tasting rooms.  Here Katie and I learned that sweet and fruity are not the same thing.  What we thought was a “sweet” taste was actually “fruity”.  We were mistaking the taste of the fruit as the taste of sugar so Katie’s dad and the man working at the winery explained that sweet wines have more residual sugar than fruity wine do.  It is still a bit confusing to me but it is a learning process!


 Mr. B is pretty happy with his purchase.


 Katie made a friend.


I would say that my first wine tasting was a success and I am so blessed to be friends with Katie and her wonderful family!

No comments:

Post a Comment