Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Italian in New York

No, I am not Italian, but I did just completed Day 2 in NYC, and I still can’t believe this is where I will be living for the next 10 weeks.  I started off the day with a nice breakfast on the patio before heading over to my apartment.  Thankfully the doorman hailed a cab for me and all was going smoothly until the cab driver told me it would be easier to get out at the corner of the street instead of dropping me off directly in front of the apartment.  I do not know what he was thinking, maybe he was just lazy.  I still had to walk another block and with 3 large suitcases this was just not going to work.  I must have looked like a hopeless mess trying to roll all three of them when a nice man motioned to ask if I wanted help and of course I said “YES!”  Well it turns out this young man was from Italy and spoke hardly any English.  In fact his English amounted to “Where are you from?” and “Facebook?”  His mother took a picture of us together, and we did the typical 3 kiss Italian goodbye, but he seemed a bit disappointed when I did not give him my name on Facebook.  Oh well, what can you do? 
View of Macy's from our window.
The next 2 hours were spent unpacking in my new home.  The apartment is a great setup with a bathroom, kitchen, living room, and a bedroom with 2 sets of bunk beds that I share with my friends and sorority sisters Lindsey and Shelley who both have internships this summer.  The only bad part about the apartment was that the air conditioning was not working too well so it was probably close to 90 degrees! 
 Living room.
 Hallway.
 Little kitchen.
 Well I know this picture of the bedroom looks like a jail cell but it really isn't I was just too lazy too turn open the blinds for the picture.
 The repair man started to fix the air conditioner, but never got around to finishing the job.
You guessed it...it's the bathroom.

Since Shelley and Lindsey were still at work I decided I would do a little exploring.  I took the subway down to Wall Street so I could figure out my work route for tomorrow and then decided to wander my way back to my apartment.  I came across the adorable neighborhoods of Greenwich Village and Chelsea with their cobblestone, tree lined streets and little shops.  As I passed one building I heard a song from the movie Step Up playing and decided to peek in and found a bunch of elementary school kids dancing in their gym.  As I came closer to my apartment I found that my gym from home also has a gym nearby my apartment which works out perfect.  Since I still did not have any groceries I decided to stop in Trader Joes, but had to keep in mind that whatever I bought I would have to carry 10 more blocks.  As I walked out of the store carrying my 2 reusable grocery bags I felt like quite the local as I made my way home.
Once Shelley and Lindsey got back from work we decided to check out the Madison Square Eats which is only open from May 6th until June 3rd.  It was an adorable outdoor food market filled with stands from restaurants around the city.  Little lights were strung across the walkways and you could tell that this was a place that New Yorkers love.  We decided on some delicious pizza which they cooked in a wood oven right in front of us.  Since there was no seating at the market we crossed the street to go sit in the little park.  To our delight it was the same park where Rachel and Ethan eat their burgers and shakes at Shake Shack in the movie Something Borrowed!  It was so relaxing to sit, just people watching in the warm summer evening.
Madison Square Eats.


New York pizza.

Look familiar...it's Shake Shack from Something Borrowed.

It is so hot and muggy I had to get an Arnold Palmer from Shake Shack.  Thankfully since it was just a drink I did not have to wait in the hour long line.

 The boxing lesson in the park was quite entertaining to watch.

 Empire State Building.
This statue was amazing because until you walked to the side you could not tell if it was carved or just painted to look like it was carved because at times it looked flat but it actually is carved.

Now I am off to bed so I will be prepared for the rude awakening of my alarm going off at 6 a.m. for my first day of work!  However, I don’t think it will be too hard to get up considering how excited I am.
 Shelley getting some ice cream from Mister Softee.
I had to stop by Macy's to pick up a pillow since I didn't have room for mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment