Thursday, June 23, 2011

Beyond the Buildings

New York is filled with towering buildings, threatening to erase any remembrance of the sky from your mind.  However, there are little places around the city which defy the odds and keep New Yorkers dreaming of the blue freedom above.  Central Park, along with all the other little parks, in the city does its best to keep views of the sky alive and sometimes when I run in Central Park I forget that I even live in the city.
This weekend I discovered two new places to get beyond the buildings.  One is the roof deck of the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  After a bit of searching we found the special elevator to the roof and it was well worth the hunt!  What met us were spectacular, panoramic views of the city skyline and sky as far as the eye could see. 
The second place is a bit of a stretch since it is technically not in the city, but it is still in New York so it counts in my book.  We took the 30 minute train out to New Rochelle to have dinner with my dad’s college roommate, and he decided to give us a tour of his beach club.  While driving there I couldn’t understand why he was so enthusiastic about it and part of it probably was just because “clubs” are much more important in the Northeast than they are in California, but that was not the whole reason.  When we pulled up it finally clicked why he liked it so much.  You were faced with beautiful views of the Long Island Sound mixing with the sky on the horizon; a stark contrast to the hectic, crowded city. 
Now don't get me wrong, the energy of the city is invigorating 99% of the time and I absolutely love it, but sometimes I need to step away and take the time to be calm for a moment and enjoy something as simple as the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment