Monday, June 13, 2011

They Love Texas Because They Hate The Heat

Ok I will admit it; I started off being a bit of a poser.  However, to my credit, when 90% of your friends are Dallas Mavericks fans you can’t help but get caught up in the playoffs.  Let’s see, I have now been in New York for exactly 2 weeks which means that I have watched 5 NBA playoff games here.  A big group of us from UT, Baylor, and other southern schools made it a tradition of reserving a few tables at a sports bar to watch the Mavs and the Heat battle it out.  Some of them were literally die-hard fans, and the games were so close that they almost had some nervous breakdowns.  I find it funny that in New York, where they normally disapprove of all things Texas, the majority of people are Mavs fans… not because they like the Mavs, but because they hate the Miami Heat (I still don’t understand their reasoning for this just like I still don’t fully understand what all goes on in the game).
Me with two of the most intense Mavs fans I know...Ryan and Azar.

Anyways last night was what could potentially be the final game of the series; the Mavs were up 3 games to 2.  All they had to do was win this one game.  Since I had already become a Mavs fan, I decided a Mavs shirt was a must.  It took going to just about every sports store in the city, but we finally found some of the last ones, which goes to prove that New Yorkers really are Mavs fans.  As usual, the game was way too close for comfort and I even found myself biting my nails in between asking a million questions because I did not understand any of the calls.  However, as the final seconds ticked away and it was obvious that the Mavs had won, the place literally exploded.  People were crying, screaming and about every other emotion in between.  In that moment I could not have been any happier to be wearing my shirt and call myself an official Mavs fan.
Here are the final seconds of the game to give you a picture of what it was like.  Beware of loud noises though...you may want to turn down your speakers.

No comments:

Post a Comment