Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Aspiring Thespian

Well I am not actually a thespian and don’t have a huge desire to become.  However, Broadway plays do have a way of making you wish that you could sing and dance like the talented actors and actresses performing in them.  Since my dad and youngest brother Kevin are out visiting me in New York, we decided to see some plays this week:  Phantom of the Opera and Mary Poppins.
Show time.

Wednesday night we saw Phantom of the Opera and it was your classic Broadway production with wonderful music.  I bounded into the theatre right before they shut the doors because I had left straight from work and to my surprise the ticket taker already knew who I was.  Turns out my dad made friends with her and put his negotiation skills to good use by convincing her to give us better seats.  The show was wonderful and we ended it with a somewhat chaotic stroll through Time’s Square.  It always amazes me how you can walk through the square anytime of the day or night and it will be alive and packed with people.  I still can’t determine its exact allure; maybe it is just the hoards of people themselves.
The famous Phantom of the Opera chandelier.


Kevin just loves taking pictures with me...

Time's Square...and it was this bright at 12 p.m.

Friday night I had another last minute arrival to our musical, but this time we weren’t so lucky with getting a seat change so we had the honor of sitting in the nose bleed seats.  Nonetheless the show was still quite enjoyable to watch.  I was surprised how they were able to change parts of the storyline, but still maintain the spirit of Mary Poppins.  Some highlights were when Mary Poppins flew away with her umbrella over the audience and the adorable children with their British accents who played Jane and Michael.  It may be peculiar, but I do have a thing for accents.
17 Cherry Tree Lane.
We love the back row.

Well that is it for tonight because I am off to grab my laundry which is waiting in the dryer on the third floor, but stay tuned for more updates of the father/ brother visit because it is a jammed packed weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment