Monday, July 4, 2011

Leah's Connecticut

I'm sorry I know my Connecticut Adventures part two is a bit slow in coming, but better late than never! 
So after our adventures at the Farmer’s Market, Leah decided it was time to properly show me around Connecticut.  We met up with her friend Teddy and made our way to Gillette Castle, the home of William.  Now if you don’t know who William Gillette is, don’t feel bad because I didn’t either.  He is the man who took the stories of Sherlock Holmes and adapted them for the stage.  He also played Sherlock Holmes himself.  The home was situated on a gorgeous bluff overlooking the river and not only could we get a full tour of the house, but also had plenty of time to explore the wooded grounds since Leah locked her keys in the car and had to call AAA.  We really are so alike in that respect; in high school I had AAA coming to unlock my car at least once a week.
Not a bad view to have out your living room window!
I always seem to take a picture of Leah in this pose no matter where we are.
My new friend Teddy
Working on my blurred background picture taking skills. 
The castle closed early for a wedding and we were able to sneak a look at the bride.
The old railroad that went throughout the property.
AAA to the rescue.
Next we headed to Johnsonville, an abandoned little town of homes, barns, and chapels.  It has served all sorts of purposes since its origin as a mill town, but in the 1960s a rich business man bought it and turned it into a venue for events and weddings.  However it was abandoned in the late 1980s when he passed away and is truly a ghost town.  Leah would love to buy Johnsonville, but unfortunately it costs $3.5 million dollars so I don’t think that will be happening anytime soon.  However if she does, I would seriously consider having my wedding there.
We didn't exactly follow this sign, but Leah technically is a prospective buyer.





For dinner we ate at the most picturesque restaurant on the river, the Blue Oar.  It is a casual spot with all outdoor seating on colored picnic benches.  You order the incredible food at the counter and they bring it out to your table.  I could tell it was a tradition for some couples to come here on Saturday nights because they brought along their table cloth, candles, and bottle of wine.

Just entertaining myself in the car.
The Blue Oar of Haddam, Connecticut.


Leah's caprese salad.
My incredible grilled shrimp with pineapple salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment