Saturday, July 9, 2011

Being 22

Twenty Two just sounds old.  It is the age where most people are finishing up school and heading into the real world; thankfully I am old for my grade and still have another year.  It is the age my mom was when she married my dad; crazy.  It is a palindrome of a number; o.k. I guess that is pretty cool.  But anyways, it seemed like moments ago I was turning twenty one, my how time sure does fly.
For the past twenty years (starting at age 2), I have been having themed birthday parties.  From an artist party to a Parent Trap party to a Spanish Fiesta, I think I have covered just about every theme.  My mom planned them up until I was sixteen, with an activity or craft scheduled for every minute and the most incredible cakes you have ever seen.  After turning sixteen, I became responsible for the planning and while I did not have every minute planned out, I did make sure that everyone knew to go all out on their costumes. For my pirate party, some of my friends turned their dad’s old Mustang convertible into a pirate ship and of course my mom still made fabulous cakes.
17:  Decade party...look at Katie's guns.
18:  Pirate Party
19:  Jungle Safari
20: Texas Hoedown
21:  Spanish Fiesta
This year being in NYC, I can’t exactly have a themed party so I am holding off on that until I return to Waco.  However, I have had quite the extended birthday here in the Big Apple.  It started last Sunday when my "big" Kim (aka sorority sister) came to visit me.  We waited in line for 2 hours to get a cake from Carlo’s Bake Shop (the place in the TLC show “Cake Boss”) and had it that night with some wine. 
This week I received some birthday cards from my Uncle Dave, Dad, and Grandparents (thanks so much!!) and a package from my mom with all sorts of fun treats.
I love my new necklace and scarf mom:)
Then came Friday, July 8th my actual birthday.  I of course I had to work, but came home to the most adorable little cupcakes from my roommates. 
Shelley and I went dinner at Mezzogiorno in SoHo which had the most incredible pear cheese raviolis.  Afterwards we decided to try out The Smile; a bar/restaurant that according to People magazine is a favorite of Jennifer Aniston.  We didn’t see Jen, but the place was perfect; a trendy mix of New York and an old, stone farmhouse.  My birthday was perfect and thank you all for the birthday wishes and those that made it special.

No comments:

Post a Comment