Tuesday, September 13, 2011

You Say Banana, I Say Cake

When we were in New York, our friend Jay from Baylor had us over for dinner at his family’s house in Brooklyn.  I remember it was so nice to be in a real home instead of a small apartment, but the true highlight of the night was his sister’s baking.

She made the most AMAZING banana cake from the Magnolia cookbook.  Magnolia is a famously delicious bakery in NYC that I actually mentioned in my Fourth of July Blues blog post.  I promised Jay and Lindsey I would make the cake once we were back at Baylor, so the other week I did.  And guess what, now I am sharing the recipe with you!

Cake:
3 Cups of cake flour (not self-rising)
1 tsp. baking soda
¾ tsp. salt
½ tsp. baking powder
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
1 ½ cups mashed bananas
6 TBS. Buttermilk
1 ½ tsp. vanilla

White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting:
2 - 8oz. package of softened cream cheese
6 TBS. unsalted butter
1 tsp. vanilla
8 oz. white chocolate (such as Lindt, not baking chocolate) melted and cooled to lukewarm temperature

Garnish:
½ cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven 325 degrees.  Grease and lightly flour 2 round 9” pans (or use a Bundt pan like I did)
In a small bowl mix flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder.
In a large bowl cream butter and sugar on medium, then add eggs one at a time.  Mix in bananas.  Add half of dry ingredients and mix well.  Add in buttermilk and vanilla and mix.  Mix in remaining dry ingredients.
Place mixture in pan(s) and cook for 40 minutes.
Icing..... 
While the cake is cooking, melt white chocolate on low heat and let cool.

In a large bowl, on medium speed, mix cream cheese and butter until smooth.  Add vanilla and chocolate.  Use immediately or store at room temperature, covered for up to 4 hours.
Truth, I am not always the most put together baker.  Yes, I made my frosting in the sink because I was being a bit too efficient and didn't have the time to move the bowl from the sink after I washed the cake batter out and used the same bowl for the icing.

When the cake is done, let cool then place frosting in between the 2 layers and then frost the sides and top.  Garnish with walnuts and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment