Monday, September 5, 2011

Westfest...Home of the Polka and Kolache

Is it that we always find the most entertaining activities or is it just that we have the best attitudes about what we are doing?  Janae and I still constantly ask ourselves this, but I guess it doesn’t really matter since we always have the most fun adventures when we are together.  Whether we are traveling all over Europe or simply discovering the best of Waco, fun is the name of our game.
Janae...my partner in crime for all things fun!
This Saturday was no exception.  I was looking at my Facebook newsfeed and saw that Janae and her friend were talking about this thing called “Westfest” which they described as a Polka Festival, so naturally I invited myself.  Great decision on my part because it turned out to be one of the most entertaining nights of my college career.  We were expecting a Renaissance type fair with a Czech spin.  After all, the tiny town of West, TX is known for their Czech bakery and kolaches.
Westfest was not quite the festival of costumes that we expected, but rather more of your typical, small town state fair with Czech food stands, a small rodeo, tractor pulling, a dance hall with live band, and even karaoke.  You could tell that the entire town lived for this weekend-long fair because everyone and their grandmother were there.
Can someone PLEASE tell me what a skunk egg is??!!
I still can't figure out the purpose of a tractor pull.
Alex, Janae, and Rachel.
After grabbing a kolache (and for those of you who don’t know, a kolache is a bread pastry filled with anything from sausage and cheese to a cream cheese, fruit mix), we met up with some more friends and headed to the dance tent to see if we could learn the Polka.  The live band, an eclectic group of musicians, succeeded in getting everyone dancing.  While there was some Polka dancing, which I still do not fully understand, there was also two-stepping, salsa, and even the chicken dance.  By the end of the evening we were quite tired, especially because it was another 90 degree day.
Janae and her kolache.
Meet the band.
We finished off the night by convincing the karaoke people to let all 15 of us do the final song for their show.  “Brown Eyed Girl” sounded like a good option so we piled on the mini plank-board stage and began our performance.  I doubt we sounded that good, but they loved us.  In fact, half-way through the song we heard a CRACK and realized the stage was breaking.  Now most times, people would have been mad at us, but they were mad because we stopped singing and insisted that we finish the song.  I guess that is small town Texas kindness for you.  
Anyways Westfest was a success and my only regret is that I did not know about it my first three years at Baylor.

No comments:

Post a Comment