Monday, August 29, 2011

110 Degree Country

This past Saturday was two things: 
1.       The hottest day of the summer at 110 degrees.
2.       The day of one of my favorite Waco events, the Margarita Salsa Festival.
Unfortunately these two don’t exactly complement each other, but my roommates and I weren’t about to let that stop us!  The Margarita Salsa Festival is a country concert featuring three country artists as well as a salsa/queso/guacamole/margarita competition between local restaurants.  It is always a unique mix of everyone from your typical Baylor student to some of the “hickest” rednecks, but everyone always has a great time!
 
Boots...the ONLY option for shoes.
Told you it was hot...I made Peyton stand here so the guy
wouldn't know I was creepin a picture of his sweat stains.
Somehow I missed the food competition the first time I came to the festival; don’t ask me how when the name has everything to do with food and nothing to do with music.  Anyways we arrived right when the gates opened at 6 p.m. to ensure that we could try all the samples before they ran out (and the music started).
Stoney Larue, Eli Young Band, and Gary Allan were the artists for the night and they were all AMAZING!  Since we arrived so early we were literally the second row from the stage! The only downside was that it was a bit warmer since everyone was so close, but by the time we left it had cooled down to 95 degrees which wasn’t bad at all.
I LOVED the concert and this picture of Bekah below.
First up was Stoney Larue, but I didn't like any of the pictures I took of him so here are some ones of us that I like instead.
Following was Eli Young Band.  We were all obsessed with their song “Crazy Girl” and made sure to belt it at the top of our lungs.
Finally figured out my camera settings.
The drummer had the BEST facial expressions.

Gary Allan was the main performer for the night and did not disappoint!  He threw out several guitar picks during each of his songs and guess what?….Emily caught one!  And not only did she catch it, but it happened to be on his song “She’s So California”!  The pick was great and in case y’all don’t believe me, it even says “This pick was stolen from Gary” on it.
Gary Allan.
The guitarist wore a kilt.  I didn't know that was country but I guess anything goes when you are a musician.
"She's So California"
With Gary's guitar pick!  Note how sweaty we are by this point in the night!
Would I weather 110 degree heat again for this concert?  Absolutely!  We all had so much fun and nothing beats good ‘ole country music.
Couldn't ask for better friends!
As we were leaving we ran into more friends.  We thought catching the guitar pick was cool; well they got invited to go to Gary's trailer and meet him before the show!
For those of you who want to get an even better vision of what the concert was like, feel free to watch the video montage from clips I took throughout the night!

No comments:

Post a Comment