Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Tradition 4: Skating in the City

Every Christmas, for as long as I can remember, we have gone ice skating in San Francisco.  There is something about skating that just feels so perfectly wintery.  I am not sure whether it is the cool breeze coming off the ice or this notion I have conjured up in my head of skating on some
frozen-over lake.  I met my dad in downtown San Francisco at the Embarcadero Center to carry out our annual tradition.

 
Walking up, the ice looked pristine, but little did it know that it would be momentarily torn to shreds by amateur skaters like myself.  After trying on multiple pairs of skates before giving up on the idea that maybe this year we would find a comfortable pair, my dad and I hit the ice!
 
 
We really weren't that bad.  No one fell and even though my dad did one lap for every two that I did, I would call our hour of skating a success!  In line with tradition, after skating, we made our way to the Hyatt Hotel to see their Christmas display.  They always have millions of lights strung down from their towering ceilings and the most massive display of little Christmas houses that I have ever seen.
 
Of course, my dad finds some random girls dressed as elves and has me take a picture with them.
 
 
After looking at the decorations, we grabbed a glass of wine in the hotel lobby and watched the diverse group of hotel guests.  From business travelers to families to people from different countries, I think we saw it all.  We both had a wonderful time and always enjoy this special tradition!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment