Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Gar Fish

So when you think of fishing, you probably think of this...


You probably don't think of this...


This would be called bow fishing, where you shoot a fish with a bow and arrow.  The arrow is attached to the bow with a string, so you can reel the fish in.


There were some big rains in Waco which caused all the rivers to flood and the Alligator Gar and Carp to flood the streams.  Now, most of you have probably never heard of an Alligator Gar.  They are this giant, nasty fish with sharp teeth and hard scales, so I guess you could say they resemble an alligator.  Austin and I decided to go investigate when we heard about this surplus of fish, and needless to say, there was a surplus!


The funny thing is that Austin kept trying to shoot these fish with his bow which was nearly impossible to do.  I was just playing with a fishing rod and suddenly felt a tug and then another.  My eyes suddenly grew huge when I saw that there was a 4 foot ferocious fish that I had managed to foul-hook on the end of my rod!  Thankfully, Austin was able to reel it in, and after it was dead, I was proud to display it.


Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that in an attempt to clean my hands, I managed to clean my entire body by slipping into the river and practically get swept away downstream.


Later, we brought Austin's roommate and his girlfriend, Ali, back to the creek.  The boys had better luck this time with using a trident as opposed to the bow.  I enjoyed watching the spectacle more than the fishing, but I am extremely proud to say that I caught the largest fish!

No comments:

Post a Comment