Saturday, April 30, 2011

Adventures with Chicken Curry

I realized that I still have not done a post about cooking and since it is one of my favorite hobbies, I figured that I better start.  My friend Alvin was doing a class project on India and needed to make an Indian dish for his class so I suggested that he make chicken curry.  We found a recipe in my mom’s book of 20 minute meals and decided to make it.  How they call these 20 minute meals I still do not know!  It practically took us 20 minutes to cut the onions…partially because my eyes were watering so I could not even see what I was cutting and partially because I could not figure out what the burning plastic smell was which I later realized was the empty frying pan on the heated stove.  However, an hour later we had tons of delicious chicken curry which his class loved!
Alvin keeping an eye on the curry.
Looking Good.
Watch out for the steamy rice.

Chicken Curry
1 ½ TBS. Vegetable Oil
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
¼ tsp. salt
2 tsp. curry powder
1 can (12 to 14 oz.) unsweetened coconut milk
1 cup diced tomatoes
2 TBS. tomato paste
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch strips
3 cups fresh baby spinach

In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and the salt.  Cook until softened, about 7 minutes, stirring often.  Add the curry powder and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute. 
Stir in the coconut milk, tomatoes, and tomato paste.  Cook for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
Add the chicken, stir well, and cook 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.  Stir in the spinach and cook for 3 minutes or until wilted, stirring occasionally.  Season to taste with salt. Serve over rice.
Makes 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment